Besides from anthemic rock ‘n’ roll songs and life-changing ballads, Noel Gallagher has been known to provide more than the odd amazing speech bubble.
Ahead of his appearance at Belsonic with Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds on Tuesday August 23 we’ve picked out 10 of his best quotes.
Read on for the chance to win two tickets to the gig thanks to Absolut…
1. If there were gold medals for taking drugs for England I would have won a shitload.
2. I still tell people that the ‘Be Here Now’ album is the best advertisement against taking cocaine. It goes on too long, it’s smothered by its self of self-importance – the same as coke users are.
3. I write the first line and the end word, ‘Supersonic’, it’s like, ‘Well, what rhymes with that?’ And you start off with ‘A’ and you go, ‘Atomic. Bionic.’ Then you go…’Gin & Tonic. Alright, that’ll do.’ It’s no big deal. You just write it down, and people go ‘Wow! Feeling Supersonic…Give me Gin and Tonic. Wow!’ Basically, cos it rhymes.
4. I feel sorry for Keane. No matter how hard they try they’ll always be squares. Even if one of them started injecting heroin into onto his c**k people would go ‘Yeah but your dad was a vicar, good night’.
5. No matter how much you (Thom Yorke) sit there twiddling, going, ‘We’re all doomed’, at the end of the day people will always want to hear you play ‘Creep’. Get over it.
6. I f**king despise hip-hop. Loathe it. Eminem is a f**king idiot and I find 50 Cent the most distasteful character I have ever crossed in my life.
7. Do you ever look at the sky and think, I’m glad I’m alive? After I heard Sum 41, I thought, I’m actually alive to hear the sh*ttiest band of all time. Which is quite something when you think about it. Of all the bands that have gone before and all the bands that’ll be in the future, I was around when the worst was around.”
8. I don’t have a crystal ball. I didn’t see he was going to turn into a cunt. I was 30, off me head on drugs, and everyone telling me we were the greatest band since who knows. Then the prime minister invites you round for a glass of wine. It all becomes part of the high.
9. He’s rude, arrogant, intimidating and lazy. He’s the angriest man you’ll ever meet. He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.
10. Sure I love Liam, but not as much as I love Pot Noodles.
11. Look. I was a superhero in the ’90s. I said so at the time. McCartney, Weller, Townshend, Richards, my first album’s better than all their first albums. Even they’d admit that.
12. I’m equal part genius, equal part buffoon.