More people took their first step on the property ladder last year than at any other time since 2007, according to figures released earlier this year from the Council of Mortgage Lenders.
But what sacrifices are people making in order to buy their first home?
UK Housing association Family Mosaic commissioned research into 2,000 people who are currently saving for a house deposit or have managed to buy in the past three years to find out.
Here are 10 common sacrifices that people were found to have made:
1. Taking lunch to work
2. Not having meals out
3. Not having takeaways
4. Not going out on the weekend
5. Not taking the annual holiday
6. Stop drinking alcohol
7. Not buying any new clothes
8. Switching to cheaper food brands or cheaper grocery stores
9. Shopping in discount stores
10. Not going to the cinema or theatre