How many times a month do you end up throwing away good food gone bad from the fridge? Probably more than you think, and by throwing away that food, you’re chucking money away with it.
At IKEA Belfast’s Joy of Storage Ideas Festival this weekend (Saturday 20 & Sunday 21 February) there will be plenty of tips and advice on how to organise all areas of your home to create ultimate storage satisfaction, and even help you be more environmentally friendly.
Here are nine simple tips that the guys at the Holywood exchange store have shared with us to help you save on food waste and it all comes down to a little organisation:
1. Make a note of everything in your cupboards and fridge & freezer before shopping.
2. Move all things that are near the best before date to the front.
3. Make a list of what you require for the next few days only.
4. Make bulk meals and freeze with dates clearly marked.
5. Separate meals into individual potions depending on your family size.
6. Use storage boxes that reflect the portion size, like the IKEA 365+ range
7. Small space freezers use storage bags. They use less space. Try the ISTAD bags.
8. Freeze chopped vegetables, this stops veg being wasted and still gives you the flexibility to choose what you cook.
9. Take leftovers for lunch the next day.
For more storage tips and organisational advice, visit the Joy of Storage Ideas Festival on Saturday 20 February, 10am – 5.30pm, and Sunday 21 February 1pm – 6pm at IKEA Belfast.