A warm, sunny day and a free afternoon is all the excuse you’ll need for a relaxing BBQ.
These BBQ recipes will have you all set to throw a spontaneous and delicious BBQ. Take a look and get inspired!
1. Classic homemade burger recipe
The classic burger is an all-time BBQ favourite! This super easy recipe gives you delicious burger patties, packed with onions and herbs for extra flavour, that are perfect for topping with cheese, lettuce and tomato, and sandwiching between floury buns.
· 1/2 tbsp olive oil
· 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
· 1 x 500g pack British Beef Steak Mince 15% fat
· 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
· 1 Skea egg, beaten
· 4 slices of Dromona mature Cheddar (optional)
· 4 Hovis white rolls
· A few round Tesco NI lettuce leaves, torn
· 1 beef tomato, sliced
· ketchup, to serve (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened and starting to turn golden. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine the beef mince with the herbs and the egg. Season, add the onions and mix well. Using your hands, shape into 4 patties.
Cook the burgers on a preheated barbecue or griddle for 5-6 minutes on each side. While the second side is cooking, lay a slice of cheese on top to melt slightly (if using).
Meanwhile, lightly toast the cut-sides of the buns on the barbecue. Fill with the lettuce, burgers and tomato slices. Serve with ketchup, if you like.
2. Beef and beetroot burger with buttermilk slaw recipe
Give your burgers a makeover with the addition of earthy beetroot and spicy horseradish. Served in toasted rolls and topped with a crunchy buttermilk slaw, these beef and beet burgers are sure to be a crowd pleaser.
For the burgers
· 170g (6oz) raw beetroot, grated
· 750g (1 1/2lb) beef steak mince
· 30g (1oz) fresh Hovis breadcrumbs
· 1 tbsp creamed horseradish
· 1 medium Skea egg, beaten
· olive oil, for brushing
· 4 Hovis rolls, halved and toasted
· 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
· sweet chilli sauce, to serve (optional)
· 4 slices of Dromona (Dale Farm) mature Cheddar (optional)
For the slaw
· 50g (2oz) light mayonnaise
· 175ml (6fl oz) Ballyrashane buttermilk
· 1 tsp cider vinegar
· pinch cayenne pepper
· 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
· 600g (1lb 3oz) Gilfresh/Tesco NI cabbage, sliced
· 2 Gilfresh/Tesco NI medium carrots, grated
· 3 Gilfresh/Tesco NI spring onions, finely chopped
· 1 x 31g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
For the slaw, combine the mayo, buttermilk, cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, mustard powder and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl.
Add the cabbage, carrots, spring onions and parsley, and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
Combine the beetroot, mince, breadcrumbs, horseradish and egg in a bowl. Mix well. Chill for 15 minutes.
Divide the beef mixture into 6 and shape into patties.
Brush with oil and barbecue for 6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Serve in the toasted rolls topped with the avocado, slaw and sweet chilli sauce, if you like.
3. Hot dogs with pulled pork and a red onion relish recipe
Serve up these crowd-pleasing hot dogs at your next barbecue blowout. These delicious dogs are topped with mouthwatering pulled pork and a sticky red onion relish that’s sure to go down a storm at any feast.
· 15g (1/2oz) salted butter
· 2 red onions, peeled halved and finely sliced
· 1 tbsp dark soft brown sugar
· 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
· 450g Cookstown pork, shredded.
· 400g pack Tesco finest* pork and caramelised onion sausages
· 6 pack Hovis white finger rolls, split vertically from end to end
· English or American mustard, to serve
· snipped mustard cress, to serve (optional)
To make the red onion relish, melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the sliced onion. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often until the onion is soft, but not highly coloured (reduce the heat if it catches).
Turn the heat up and add the sugar and vinegar. Cook down, stirring, for 5-8 minutes until the onions are sticky and glazed. Season and set aside.
Cook and shred the pork with two forks, mix in barbeque sauce if desired.
Meanwhile, make sure the coals on your barbecue are white-hot with no trace of flame, then lay the sausages directly on the bars, above a medium-hot area, and cook for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and cooked right through.
Spread the cut insides of the rolls lightly with mustard then put a cooked sausage in each roll. Spoon a generous amount of pulled pork down one side and a sixth of the red onion relish down the other. Scatter with some snipped mustard cress, if you like.
4. Chicken and vegetable kebabs recipe
Easy to make and tasty too, these chicken and vegetable kebabs can be served with a tangy tomato dipping sauce. Older kids will have fun helping you to make these tasty chicken kebabs.
· 70g (2 1/2oz) of Tesco NI chicken- cut in to chunks
· 4 cherry tomatoes
· 1/2 red peppers, deseeded, cut into bite size pieces
· 1/2 green peppers, deseeded, cut into bite size pieces
· 1/2 yellow peppers, deseeded, cut into bite size pieces
· 4 Tesco NI button mushrooms
· spray oil
· small handful basil leaves, chopped
Thread the chicken bites onto metal skewers alternating with the cherry tomatoes, courgettes, mushrooms and peppers – let the kids get creative! Spray with olive oil, season.
Time for the adults to step in – preheat the grill to hot and the grill for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly charred on all sides and the vegetables are tender.
Serve the hot kebabs with the tomato sauce to dip into.
For more information, please follow Tesco NI at facebook.com/tastenorthernireland.