Here are today’s random facts to amaze/annoy your friends with…
1. A shrew eats two thirds of its own weight every day. Shrews have obviously never heard of Subway or Nando’s.
2. The longest word in the Oxford English Dictionary is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. It refers to a lung disease caused by inhaling very fine ash and sand dust. It is virtually impossible for anyone to pronounce, especially those with the self same lung disease.
3. In Germany, carp is eaten on New Year’s Eve to bring good luck. I think they’ve misunderstood the motto Carpe Diem.
4. I was once told if all the corks from all the bottles of wine produced in France each year were glued together, they would encircle the earth 10 times. I’m guessing this fact no longer holds true given that every bottle you get nowadays is screw top.
5. Not all prehistoric monsters were huge. Some dinosaurs were no bigger than hens. If this fact is used in the presence of a creationist it could open a can of worms. Dinosaur worms!
6. After his first concert appearance Elvis Presley was advised to become a lorry driver. Pity the same advice hadn’t been given to Jon Bon Jovi.
7. Moles are very strong swimmers. No comment needed.