Belfast’s most iconic tourist attraction has been named Europe’s best visitor attraction for groups.
Titanic Belfast beat Paris’ Eiffel Tower and the London Eye at the European Group Travel Awards (EGTA) this week.
Tim Husbands MBE, Titanic Belfast’s CEO, said: “This is a fantastic endorsement for Titanic Belfast by our peers in the travel industry and reflects the immense work which our staff have put into making sure that Titanic Belfast is geared to meet the specific needs of group travel.”
TITANIC BELFAST – 11 FACTS
1. Two million visitors have already came through the doors.
2. Titanic Belfast is spread over six-floors and features nine interpretive and interactive galleries that explore the sights, sounds, smells and stories of Titanic, as well as the City and people which made her.
3. It is the world’s largest Titanic exhibition.
4. The main exhibition measures 11,000 sq.m
5. The façade is clad in three thousand different shaped silver anodized aluminium sheets folded into complicated asymmetrical geometries.
6. The facades lean out at angles of up to 72 degrees.
7. Of the three thousand panels, two thousand are completely unique, while none of the ‘typical’ panels repeat more than twenty times – creating a startlingly random effect, managing to catch the light like a cut diamond.
8. The total cost of the project was in excess of £100m.
9. Titanic Belfast® is twice the size of Belfast City Hall covering 14,000 sq.m. (150,700 sq.ft.)
10. The highest point of the building is 38.5 metres (126 feet) from the plaza level.
11. Titanic Belfast is located 100 metres in front of where Titanic’s hull was constructed and launched.